Standing toe-to-toe with the finest speakers in the world, the flagship SVS Ultra Tower is a reference floorstanding speaker built without compromise for the most discerning audio fans. Dual opposing 8-inch woofers command a room with deep, articulate bass while the innovative driver design, premium materials and optimized cabinet geometry combine to convey incredible resolution, absolute transparency, and crisp, powerful dynamics.
The Ultra Tower speakers area perfectly tuned acoustic ecosystem. From the drivers to the crossover and cabinet, each component is painstakingly engineered and critically tested to perform in harmony and convey breathtaking sound quality.
Ultra Driver & Tweeter Design
Starting from the bottom up, the Ultra Tower speakers feature a proprietary SVS ForceFactor woofer array with two 8-inch drivers horizontally opposed at the base of the speaker for room-filling low-frequency output. Because of the unique shape of the cabinet, each of the woofers fires in a different direction resulting in deep, effortless and accurate bass throughout the listening area.
Complementing the unique woofer design are the Ultra Tower speaker’s dual 6.5-inch midrange drivers made with composite glass-fiber cones that yield excellent stiffness to mass ratio for enhanced sensitivity and voicing that’s utterly neutral and completely faithful to the source material. With 80% of the sound occurring in the midrange frequencies, the drivers reveal the essence of the Ultra Tower speaker’s timbre. Whether conveying the nuance and impact of instruments, voices, sound effects or anything else, the Ultra midrange drivers are pitch perfect.
Elevating high frequency performance, the Ultra Tower speaker’s aluminum dome tweeter is stunningly transparent and pinpoint accurate. Light, efficient, rigid and impervious to distortion, even at high sound pressure levels, the tweeter’s airy’ presentation of female vocals and effortlessly unveiled highs reveal as much or more than the finest loudspeakers in the world. The FEA-optimized diffuser ensures broad dispersion for an incredibly wide and convincing soundstage with perfect on- and off-axis frequency response so everyone in your room experiences the same pristine clarity and imaging.
Innovative SoundMatch Crossover Design
Since premium drivers require an equally capable crossover, no expense was spared with the intelligent SVS SoundMatch 3.5-way crossover. Its tapered array is designed so only the top midrange driver crosses over to the tweeter, while the bottom midrange is crossed over to the woofers to minimize the potential for beaming. This creates an expansive, yet focused and precise soundstage, with accurate frequency response and imaging at all listening positions in the room. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures pinpoint accuracy from sparkling highs down to subterranean lows, while maintaining pristine signal purity.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design and Geometry
Every feature on the Ultra Tower speaker’s cabinet was designed with a sonic purpose in mind. Tapered edges on the cabinet’s front baffle, known as chamfers, minimize edge diffraction for clear and precise soundstaging. The sweeping side panels of the floorstanding loudspeaker are non-parallel so each of the 8-inch woofers fire in different directions to fill a room with deep, effortless and accurate bass.
Internally, each cabinet employs two separate sealed midrange enclosures to optimize performance and minimize interaction between drivers. Positioning of the tweeter between the two mid-range drivers in separate enclosures, and the unique 3.5-way crossover design make high frequency output highly resistant to ceiling and floor boundary reflections so the Ultra Tower can project a pinpoint accurate portrayal of the near field response, even when a listener is sitting far away.
Meticulous, Innovative Design Process
All SVS speakers, regardless of price or form factor, are crafted in the same painstaking fashion. Call it a marriage of exacting science and a passionate expression of technique and love of great sound.
Before a model is ever constructed, drivers and cabinets are theoretically designed by our acoustic engineers using the most sophisticated computer-aided design (CAD) processes available. Then prototypes are carefully measured and optimized in an anechoic environment to achieve pitch-perfect frequency response. After the ideal theoretical frequency response is attained, exhaustive listening and measurement is done in listening rooms calibrated to closely resemble typical home-like room environments.
The result is a speaker that measures well with near flawless real-world frequency response, but also optimized to sound amazing on a human level through listening tests with real music and cinematic content, in a real world listening environment like your home.
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data:
- Rated bandwidth: 28 Hz-32 kHz (+/-3 dB).
- Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
- Sensitivity: 88 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz).
- Recommended amplifier power: 20-300 watts.
- Floor Standing Tower Loudspeaker
- Real black oak veneer and piano gloss black finish options
- Dual gold-plated 5-way binding posts
- 3.5" wide-flared rear-firing port
- Cloth grille with pin/cup retention system
- Elastomer screw-in feet - adjustable for level
- Spiked metal screw-in feet included - adjustable for level
- Cabinet Dimensions: 45.6” (H) x 13.8” (W) x 16.5” (D) (without grille)
- Overall Dimensions: 45.6” (H) x 13.8” (W) x 16.8” (D) (with grille)
- Shipped Dimensions: 50.3" (H) X 21.3" (W) X 22.3" (D)
- Weight Unboxed: 75.4 pounds
- Shipped Weight: 86 pounds
1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter:
- FEA-optimized diffuser for airy and unveiled presentation
- Aluminum dome delivers exceptional transient response and exceptional stiffness/mass ratio
6.5” Midrange Drivers:
- Composite glass-fiber cone with excellent stiffness/mass ratio for high sensitivity and pistonic behavior beyond pass band
- Aluminum shorting ring to reduce gap inductance, lower distortion, and enhance high frequency response
- Cast aluminum basket to ensure precise alignment of critical components and additional heat-sinking capacity
- Vented voice coil former to minimize air compression artifacts at high drive levels
- Aluminum shorting rings to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion
- Long stroke motor and suspension for high output
- Vented voice coil formers to minimize air compression artifacts at high drive levels
Crossover & Cabinet Specs:
- 3.5-way crossover with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors and heavy-trace printed circuit boards
- Unique tapered midrange array miniimizes off-axis lobing and enhances radiated sound power into listening space
- Top midrange-to-tweeter crossover: 2 kHz
- Bottom midrange taper frequency: 700 Hz
- Dual midrange-to-woofer crossover: 160 Hz
- Separate sealed midrange enclosures minimize top-to-bottom wall dimensions and shift standing waves beyond the driver pass band, minimizing negative driver interaction and associated frequency response degradation
- Non-parallel cabinet panels reduces axial standing waves within the cabinet, reducing frequency response coloration
- Acoustically transparent and FEA optimized grilles, wedge-shaped front baffle and flush-mounted drivers all contribute to reduced edge diffraction and improved on-axis high frequency response
- FEA-optimized bracing, 1" thick midrange/tweeter baffles and 1.5" thick woofer baffles eliminates structural resonances and ensures the cabinet remains acoustically inert for uncolored response even at the highest drive levels
I have owned a few pairs of floor standing speakers, these so far have been great. The design is unique with it's shape and in gloss black they are very nice. You get to used to the look and are reminded of their different design every time someone asks what brand of speakers they are. I am a big fan of 3 way speakers and the 3.5 way configuration leads to very rich mids. Music listening is clear and detailed. having come from some Klipsch RP-8000Fs the tweeter design is different than the horns. So initially I though they were softer and less detailed in the highs. However the more I listened I realized it was the fact that the mids were more clear making for a better balance to the speaker. The highs are detailed just not as forward as the Klipsch. I was on the fence about these speakers for awhile, but happy I finally pulled the trigger. They are worth their price tag! Don't hesitate to purchase from Aamir, customer service is hands down leaps and bounds above the rest.
Awesome Speakers, Great!
After doing my research for a new set of towers speakers from which to build a system around, I settled on the SVS Ultra Towers. Value for the money, they are nearly impossible to beat and are able to rival speakers up into the 5 digit range. Sure you can spend more to achieve incrementally better sound, but as anyone in the audiophile Hi-Fi world knows, the law of diminishing returns is very real. For most audio enthusiasts, the SVS Ultra Towers will be more than you'll ever need. Even Danny Richie from GR Research was pleasantly surprised with how the SVS Ultra Tower measured up which speaks volumes!
I am extremely happy with my purchase and with my decision to give my hard earned dollars to Aamir and Summit Hi-Fi. Give him a call if you are considering.
Aamir is truly a fantastic guy, he was willing to answer any questions I had regarding my decision to build a home theatre system, and went out of his way to accommodate me and get stuff shipped out STAT.
You will be thoroughly pleased if you purchase your A/V gear through Aamir at SummitHIFI.
In regards to the Ultra Towers, they’re insanely good, so just buy them.
I've had the speakers for almost 2 months now and am loving them. SVS make great products and the Ultras are fantastic! Aamir was excellent to deal with.